Install Windows on Mac using Boot Camp
In case if you are looking to Install Windows on Mac then here’s a guide on How to Install Windows on Mac using Boot Camp. Mac gives you the choice of either running the macOS or Windows using Boot Camp when you need for specific Windows app or games that are not available on the Mac. In this article, you’ll learn How to Install Windows on Mac with Apple Boot Camp. All Macs 2012 or later support Windows. See all Supported Macs list HERE.
How to Install Windows on Mac
Macs run on macOS, but you can easily install Windows alongside macOS using Apple Boot Camp. Installing Windows on a Boot Camp effectively turns your Mac into a Windows PC. To start we need a Windows ISO file from Microsoft website. The only disadvantage is you need to restart your Mac to switch between the MacOS and Windows.
How to Download Windows ISO file
Follow these steps below in order to download the Windows ISO file from Microsoft.
2. Click on Select Edition drop-down menu in order to choose the Windows version.
3. Select the Windows version you want to install and click on Confirm
4. Then, select the Language of your choice and click Confirm.
5. Now, select the 64-bit version and continue to download.
6. Then, the Windows ISO file will download in a moment.
How to Install Windows on Mac using Boot Camp
Before you begin installing Windows, it’s always better to backup your Mac just in case if something goes wrong you can restore the backup. You need to have at least 55 GB of free disk space in order to install Windows on a Mac.
Once you have the Windows ISO file you are all set to run the Boot Camp Assistant and install Windows on your Mac.
1. Launch Boot Camp Assistant. Go to Applications > Utilities folder.
2. Click Continue and the Boot Camp Assistant will automatically locate the Windows ISO file on your system.
3. Then, drag the partition slider to allocate disk space for Windows.
4. Click Install to begin the installation and the Windows Support Software download will begin in a moment.
5. Now, type your Mac Password and click OK
6. Your Mac will restart and you’ll see the Windows Setup.
7. Choose the Language of your choice and click Install Now.
8. In case, if you have a Windows Product Key (Activation Key) then type the Product Key (or) click “I don’t have a key”.
9. Now, choose the Windows Version/Edition you want to install (Example: Windows 10 Pro).
10. Click on Custom: Windows Only option and click Next.
11. Now, select Drive 0 Partition X: BOOTCAMP name.
(Note: Do not choose other Drive).
12. Select BOOTCAMP partition and click Next in order to begin the installation.
13. Your Mac will restart several times during the Windows Installation process.
14. After successful installation, you can choose to Customize your Installation or Use Express Settings to setup Windows.
15. Then, Windows will ask you to set up an account.
16. Log in with your Microsoft account and set a Username and Password for Windows with a Hint.
17. Now Setup Cortana Assistant and click Finish.
How to Install Boot Camp Drivers on Windows
When Windows boot up for the first time, the Boot Camp Assistant prompts you to install the Boot Camp drivers. Click Next and “Accept the Terms & Conditions”. Click on Install, then the Boot Camp Assistant will install all the necessary drivers. Now Click Finish when installation is complete.
How to Boot into Windows on your Mac
When you restart your Mac, your Mac will boot into MacOS by default. To Boot into Windows turn off your Mac and while turning on hold Option Key. You’ll be asked from which drive you would like to boot from. Just select Windows and press Enter. Your Mac will boot into Windows.
You can set Windows to boot by default by setting Windows as default boot in Boot Camp settings.
1. Click on the Boot Camp icon in the Windows Taskbar.
2. Now click on Boot Camp Control Panel.
3. Under Boot Camp Control Panel select Startup Disk option.
4. Select the Startup Disk as Windows in order to boot Windows on start.
5. You can choose Mac as default startup disk in case if you don’t want Windows as default startup.
6. Click Apply and Restart your Mac.
How to Remove Windows from Mac
In case if you don’t want Windows anymore and if you want to remove Windows from your Mac follow these steps below.
Note: Make sure to backup all important files on Windows as this step deletes Windows Partition and all data and files.
1. Reboot into MacOS and Launch Boot Camp Assistant.
2. To launch Boot Camp Assistant, go to Applications > Utilities folder.
3. Click Continue and select Remove Windows 7 or later option.
4. Now click on Restore in order to remove Windows from Mac.
5. The Boot Camp Assistant will automatically remove Windows from your Mac and Restore Disk to a Single Volume.
Mac hardware is made for MacOS but still, Apple Macs support Windows. You’ll notice a difference in performance while using the trackpad, and some Apple-specific hardware like the TouchID. But by having a Dual Boot device you’ll have both MacOS and Windows installed, you can choose the OS you want to launch at startup. Having a Dual Boot device is handy because of some popular software and apps are not available for Mac. At this time the Windows OS will come in handy for the software and apps which are not available on Mac.
Finally, at the end of this article, you’ll learn How to Install Windows on Mac using Boot Camp Assistant. In case if you have any queries related to this article comment down your query and we’ll try to answer your query as soon as possible.